Best Practice: Leveraging EUIPO’s IP Scan for SME Success
Understanding and protecting your intellectual property (IP) is crucial for SMEs navigating the competitive landscape. The EUIPO IP Scan offers a powerful solution, providing valuable insights and strategic direction. Here's your step-by-step guide to making the most of this essential resource:
1. Assess Your IP Readiness
Start by evaluating your company's readiness to embrace an IP strategy. This preliminary self-assessment sets the stage for understanding your current relationship with intellectual property.
2. Dive into the IP Scan Process
The IP Scan process is a collaborative journey with an assigned IP expert. Break it down into three key phases:
- Preparation: Complete a short self-assessment questionnaire, providing the IP expert with initial insights into your company's IP landscape.
- Analysis: Engage in in-depth interviews with the IP expert to explore your business model, assess existing IP, and identify the most suitable IP strategy for your unique needs.
- Report: Receive a personalized report from the IP expert, covering crucial aspects like your business model, current IP assets, IP searches, and strategic recommendations.
3. Uncover Hidden Intangible Assets
Your company may possess valuable intangible assets that go unnoticed. Beyond the basics like company and domain names, discover registrable IP such as trademarks, patents, designs, utility models, copyrights, plant varieties, and geographical indications. Recognize the value of non-registrable IP like trade secrets and unregistered designs.
4. IP Scan and the SME Fund
Take advantage of financial support through the SME Fund, designed to reimburse 90% of the IP Scan cost for eligible SMEs in the European Union. Ensure your company meets the criteria and follow a straightforward application process to access this exclusive opportunity.
5. Selecting National IP Offices Offering IP Scan
Be aware of the national IP offices that offer IP Scan covered by the SME Fund, including Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Republic, Finland, Germany, Ireland, Latvia, Lithuania, Portugal, Slovakia, and Sweden. Check if your country is covered and explore additional services provided by these offices.
6. Application Process
Initiate the SME Fund application process with minimal paperwork. Gather essential information, including your company's VAT certificate and bank account details. Apply for the SME Fund and await prompt approval, typically within a few days.
7. Learn More and Connect
Visit the SME Fund homepage for detailed information and FAQs. If you have questions, utilize the online chat feature, or connect with your national IP office for personalized assistance.
Empower your SME with a robust IP strategy. Uncover the potential of your intangible assets and propel your business forward with confidence. For more information visit EUIPO IP Scan